Sunday 11 March 2012

Mechanical birds

Here are some birds i have been drawing for a current project at uni.The project title is 'Power', we have been allowed to illustrate this word/theme in any way we want to , so I have chosen to draw these little birdies ( which are usually seen as being fragile/delicate) and give them a sense of power by making them all mechanically machine-like :) These illustrations are based on real types of birds...

Nightingale
Chaffinch
Wheatear
Carrion Crow


I googled images of steampunk and clockwork creations while i was drawing these for inspiration... I think Steampunk imagery is so beautiful :)  I may draw some more of these and go into more detail with the whereabouts of the mechanics ( hinges on the parts that would move etc.) i vaguely did this , giving each bird a little rib cage and hinges on the legs but i think it'd be cool if the mechanics could be more correspondant to the anatomy of the birds.

4 comments:

  1. if you don't mind, i would like to use the crow image for my own personal use for a steampunk hop....tomorrow, I will absolutely be giving you credit for the art. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've credited you in my latest entry to The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Hope this is okay: https://twitter.com/BeeblePete/status/695692683742994432

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! A few years ago, I wrote a short steampunk opera about Charles Darwin, and I was searching for images that would adequately represent the opera, which depicts Darwin and his aviary of birds. (In this opera, Darwin's birds are mechanical).

    I was wondering if it would be at all possible to purchase the rights to use the image of your Nightingale drawing for the opera materials, and if so, I am wondering how much it would cost.

    ReplyDelete